Architect of National Flag Honoured in A.P
About Pingali Venkayya
- Pingali Venkayya was an Indian freedom fighter and the designer of the Indian National Flag.
- He was born on 2nd August 1876 in Bhatlapenumarru village of Andhra Pradesh.
- He served as a British army soldier during Anglo Boer war. He met Mahatma Gandhi for the first time during this time, and formed a bond with him that lasted for more than 50 years.
- Later he returned to India and joined the freedom struggle.
- In 1916, he published a booklet on flags which was titled ‘A National Flag for India.’ It contained twenty-four designs of flags.
Designers of some other national flags
- The national flag of UK was designed by King James I
- The national flag of USA was designed by Francis Hopkinson
- The national flag of France was designed by Jacques-Louis David and Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette
- The national flag of China was designed by Zeng Liansong
- The national flag of Pakistan was designed by Syed Amir-uddin Kedwaii
- The national flag of Russia was designed by King Peter I
- The national flag of Bangladesh was designed by Quamrul Hassan
Symbolism of Indian National Flag
- Saffron on top symbolises “strength and courage”, white in the middle represents “peace and truth” and green at the bottom stands for “fertility, growth and auspiciousness of the land”.
- The Ashok Chakra with 24 spokes replaced the spinning wheel as the emblem on the flag. It is intended “to show that there is life in movement and death in stagnation”.
Source The Hindu
For more updates, Click Here