Dhyana Mandir to be built at Alluri birthplace
#GS-01 Indian History
Prime Minister announced that a Dhyana Mandir will be constructed at Mogallu in honor of the freedom fighter Alluri Sitarama Raju.
About Alluri Sitarama raju:
- He was born in Mogallu, West Godavari District in Andhra Pradesh
- He was the leader of Rampa Rebellion of 1922.
- He was called “Manyam Veerudu”.
- He was captured in 1924 and executed by a firing squad.
About Rampa Rebellion:
- Also Known as “Manyam Rebellion”
- The rebellion was in response of the regresive1882 Madras Forest Act which curtailed the rights of “Adivasis”.
- The rebellion was fought using Guerrilla tactics and was violent.
- The tribes followed ‘Podu system of cultivation’ which can be considered as a form of slash and burn agriculture, which was the sole source of food for their consumption.
- The Britishers wanted to evict these tribes from these areas to plunder wood and other materials for the future construction requirements of the Raj.
- This resulted in the 1882 Madras Forest Act which restricted the free movement of tribes.
- The rebellion caused massive damages to the British Raj and along with the Non-Cooperation Movement resulted in threatening the stability of the empire.
- The rebellion was brutally suppressed by the British using large amounts of money and manpower.
- The death of Alluri Sitarama Raju resulted in the collapse of the movement and it ended in failure in 1924.