OBCs not on Central list can apply under EWS for Union government posts: DoPT
#GS-02 Social Justice Polity
Who are OBCs?
- Other Backward Classes (OBC) are socially and educationally backward classes in India.
- The Union Government of India maintains a list of castes/communities to be considered as OBC.
- OBCs get 27% Reservation Quota with respect to the seats in Government Jobs and Government institutes.
- The Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) has said people belonging to Other Backward Classes (OBC) communities in the State list but not in the Central list will be eligible to apply for posts and services of the Government of India under the EWS quota criteria.
About National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC):
- 102nd Constitution Amendment Act, 2018 conferred constitutional status to the National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC).
- Previously NCBC was a statutory body under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- The Commission consists of a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson and three other Members.
- The conditions of service and tenure of office of the Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson and other Members is determined by President.
- Article 340 talks about the need to, inter alia, identify those “socially and educationally backward classes”, understand the conditions of their backwardness, and make recommendations to remove the difficulties they face.
- The commission monitors and investigates every matters relating to the safeguards provided for the socially and educationally backward classes under the Constitution or under any other law to evaluate the working of such safeguards.
- It participates and advises on the socio-economic development of the socially and educationally backward classes and to evaluate the progress of their development under the Union and any State.
- It presents to the President, annually and at such other times as the Commission may deem fit, reports upon the working of those safeguards. The President laid such reports before each House of Parliament.
About 102nd Constitution Amendment Act:
- 102nd Constitution Amendment Act inserted new Articles 338 B and 342 A.
- Article 338B provides authority to NCBC to examine complaints and welfare measures regarding socially and educationally backward classes.
- Article 342 A empowers President to specify socially and educationally backward classes in various states and union territories.