#GS-03 Science and Technology
- Phytorid Technology is a wastewater recycling technology created to reduce the water scarcity for the next few decades.
- It has been developed and internationally patented by CSIR-National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI).
- Phytorid is a self sustaining technology for wastewater treatment that works on the principle of natural wetland.
- It involves construction of a wetland exclusively designed for the treatment of municipal, urban, agricultural and industrial wastewater.
- It uses plants such as Elephant grass (Pennisetumpurpurem), Cattails (Typha sp.), Reeds (Phragmitessp.), Cannas pp. and Yellow flag iris (Iris pseudocorus).
- These are normally found in natural wetlands and have filtration and treatment capability.
- Phytorid Technology for sewage treatment is a zero energy and zero operation & maintenance (O&M).
- The Municipal Corporation of Tirupati (MCT) is building what is claimed to be the country’s largest liquid waste treatment plant using phytorid technology.
The treatment plant:
The system consists of the following three zones:
- Inlet zone which comprises of crushed bricks and different sizes of stones.
- Treatment zone which comprises of the same media as in inlet zone with plant species.
- Outlet zone.
Effectiveness of the process:
The process can reduce the amount of
- the total suspended solids (TSS) by 70% to 80.
- Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD) from 78% to 84%,
- nitrogen from 70% to 75%,
- phosphorus from 52% to 64% and
- fecal coliform from 90 % to 97%.