PIB Analysis 09-12-22
World Ayurveda Congress
- 9th World Ayurveda Congress (WAC) was inaugurated on 8th December 2022, at Panaji, Goa.
- The worldwide expansion of Ayurveda has been facilitated by the setting up of a separate Ministry of AYUSH, by Government of India in 2014.
- In 2015, the United Nations decided to celebrate the International Day of Yoga.
- The Ayurveda Congress’ activities go a long way in propagating such traditional systems of healing and well-being all over the world.
- A MoU was signed between All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA) and Rosenberg’s European Academy of Ayurveda, Germany to facilitate advanced studies in traditional Indian medicine systems.
- 9th World Ayurveda Congress & Arogya Expo 2022 is being organized in Goa from 8 to 11 December with an objective of providing a global platform for all the stakeholders, including industry leaders, practitioners, traditional healers, educationists, students, medicine manufacturers, growers of medicinal plants and marketing strategists, for networking and engaging in intellectual exchange to strengthen the Ayurveda sector, envision its future, and facilitate interaction between professionals and consumers to boost Ayurveda commerce.
- The market size of AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy) sector in the country has grown from USD 3 billion in 2014 to over USD 18 billion now, clocking a phenomenal growth of six times.
- During 2014-2020, the AYUSH industry grew 17 per cent year-on-year while the Ayurveda market is predicted to grow at 15 per cent CAGR from 2021-2026.
- Over 4500 participants from all over the world including 400 foreign delegates from 53 countries are participating in the 9th World Ayurveda Congress & Arogya Expo.
- Ministry of Civil Aviation launched Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS) – UDAN (Ude Desh ka Aam Nagrik) on 21.10.2016 to stimulate regional air connectivity and making air travel affordable to the masses.
- As on 29.11.2022, after four rounds of bidding under UDAN, 453 routes have commenced, operationalizing 70 Airports including 2 Water Aerodrome & 9 Heliports.
- More than 2.15 lakh UDAN flights have operated and over 1.1 crore passengers have availed the benefits in UDAN flights so far.
- The scheme has been able to provide air connectivity to Tier-2 &Tier-3 cities at affordable airfares and has transformed the way people travel.
- The UDAN Scheme is applicable for a period of 10 years from the date of notification of Scheme.
- The Government has set a target to operationalize 1000 UDAN routes during the currency of the scheme and to revive/develop 100 unserved & underserved airports/heliports/water aerodromes by 2024.