Statehood Day of Arunachal Pradesh
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has congratulated people of Arunachal Pradesh on the Golden Jubilee and 36th Statehood Day celebrations of Arunachal Pradesh.
- He lauded them for strengthening their identity as the land of the rising sun over the last 50 years.
- He also quoted lines from the famous Bharat Ratna, Dr.Bhupen Hazarika’s famous song ‘Arunachal Hamara’.
- He was speaking on the occasion of Golden Jubilee and 36th Statehood Day celebrations of Arunachal Pradesh today.
- Every year, 21st February is celebrated as the Statehood Day of Mizoram and Arunachal Pradesh.
- On this day in 1987, both of them became full-fledged states of the Indian Union with the Fifty-Third Amendment of the Indian Constitution, 1986.
- The Mizo hills area became the Lushai Hills district within Assam at the time of independence. Further, in 1954 it was renamed the Mizo Hills District of Assam.
- Mizoram was granted the status of a Union Territory in 1972 after signing an accord with the moderates of the Mizo National Front (MNF).
- The Union Territory of Mizoram was conferred the status of a full state in 1986 after signing of a memorandum of settlement (Mizoram Peace Accord) between the Central government and the MNF.
- During the British Colonial Rule, until 1972, the state was named as the North-East Frontier Agency (NEFA).
- On 20thJanuary, 1972, it became a Union Territory and named Arunachal Pradesh.
- The state was formed out of Assam in the year 1987.
Source: THE HINDU.