The beginning of India’s cultural renaissance
#GS-01 Culture and Society
Kashi Tamil Sangamam
- The proposal for Kashi Tamil Sangamam came from Bharatiya Bhasha Samiti (BBS) which is a Committee for Promotion of Indian Languages under Ministry of Education.
- Its aim is to rediscover, reaffirm and celebrate the centuries old links between the Tamil culture and Kashi.
- Kashi Tamil Sangamam was organized in Varanasi (Kashi) from 16th November to 19th December,2022.
- The event included academic exchanges such as seminars, discussions etc between experts/ scholars on various facets of the two ancient manifestations of Indian Culture.
- This was to bring into focus the links and shared values between the cultures.
- The broader objective of the event is to bring the two Knowledge and Cultural traditions closer, create and understand the shared heritage and deepen the people-to-people bond between the regions.
- The Sangamam was organised under the overall framework and spirit of “Ek Bharat, Shrestha Bhara”
Theme of Kashi Tamil Sangamam
Themes of Kashi Tamil Sangamam will cover various facets of knowledge such as;
- ancient texts,
- handicrafts as well as the modern innovations,
- trade exchanges,
- edutech and other gen next technology etc.
The Visitors of the event:
To ensure that the benefit of these discussions reaches the ground level, common people from various groups from different parts of Tamil Nadu, were brought for an 8-day visit of Varanasi and its neighbouring areas.
12 such groups have been identified which include
- literary (authors, poets, publishers),
- cultural experts,
- professionals (practicing arts, music, dance, drama, folk art, yoga, Ayurveda),
- entrepreneurs (SMEs, start-ups),
- business people, (community business groups, hoteliers,) artisans,
- heritage related experts (archaeologists, tour guides, bloggers etc)
- spiritual, rural, sampradaya organizations.
- The government also organised a ‘textiles conclave’ during the Kashi Tamil Sangamam.
- The 5F formula (farm, fibre, fabric, fashion, foreign) was aimed to accelerate growth in the sector and transform the lives of farmers and weavers.
- Man-made fibre is another area of focus which has great potential for growth and exports.
- One District One Product scheme will help to take Indian products to the world market.