Why is Kerala protesting Supreme Court’s ESZ notification
- Karimpuzha Wildlife Sanctuary in Kerala
- Established in 2020.
What is ESZ
- Eco-Sensitive Zones or Ecologically Fragile Areas are areas within 10 kms around Protected Areas, National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries.
- ESZs are notified by MoEFCC, Government of India under Environment Protection Act 1986.
- The purpose of declaring eco-sensitive zones around protected areas is for creating some kind of a ‘Shock Absorber’ for the protected area.
Issue for Kerala
- Nearly 30% of Kerala is forested land and the Western Ghats occupies 48% of the State.
- Moreover, there is a network of lakes, canals, wetlands and the 590-kilometre-long coastline, which are all governed by a series of environmental conservation and protection legislations, leaving little space for its 3.5 crore population to occupy.
- Kerala has the third highest population density in the country with over 850 people per square kilometre.
What state is demanding
- The Kerala State Assembly unanimously passed a resolution urging the Central government to exclude the State’s human habitations, farmlands and public institutions from the purview of the Ecologically Sensitive Zones (ESZ).
Source The Hindu
For more updates, Click Here