World’s First CNG Terminal’ at Bhavnagar
- The Prime Minister has laid the foundation stone for the “world’s first CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) terminal” at Bhavnagar in Gujarat
How it originated?
- A consortium made up of the London-based Foresight Group, the Mumbai-based Padmanabh Mafatlal Group, and the Rotterdam-based Boskalis signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Gujarat Maritime Board (GMB) for the development of the CNG terminal during the January 2019 Vibrant Gujarat summit, which gave birth to the project.
- A project proposal for the construction of a CNG terminal and related infrastructure on the north side of the Bhavnagar port was submitted in December 2019.
- This was approved, and in September 2020, GMB submitted a Letter of Intent (LoI) on behalf of the consortium’s special purpose vehicle, Bhavnagar Port Infrastructure Pvt Ltd.
Importance of Bhavnagar Port:
- The Dholera Special Investment Region (SIR) is close by, and the Bhavnagar port is anticipated to serve the businesses that have established bases there.
- A railway line that runs to the port’s current berths already connects it to the northern hinterland.
- Apart from the CNG terminal which will be part of the existing Bhavnagar port other additional facilities such as an ultra-modern container terminal, multipurpose terminal (LPG and Chemical), a Ro-Ro (roll-on/roll-off) terminal for cargo ships that can load and unload wheeled objects such as trolleys and cars, and a liquid cargo terminal will also be developed.
Source The Indian Express
For more updates, Click Here