141st International Olympic Committee (IOC) Session
The Prime Minister inaugurated the 141st International Olympic Committee (IOC) Session in Mumbai. The Session provides an opportunity for interaction and knowledge sharing among the various stakeholders related to sports.
- The Prime Minister underlined the significance of the session taking place in India after 40 years.
- He also informed the audience about India’s victory in the Cricket World Cup fixture at the world’s largest stadium in Ahmedabad to the roar of cheers.
- The Prime Minister emphasized that sports have been a vital part of India’s culture and lifestyle.
- He highlighted that the sporting culture is reflected through thousands of years in the history of India.
- He informed that scriptures written thousands of years ago mentioned being proficient in 64 genres including sports such as horse riding, swimming, archery wrestling etc., and emphasis was laid on excelling in them.
- He stated that a ‘Dhanur Veda Samhita’ i.e., a Code for Archery was published to learn the sport of archery which mentions 7 mandatory skills as a prerequisite to learn archery namely Dhanushvan, Chakra, Bhala, Fencing, Dagger, Mace and Wrestling.
- He also mentioned the Dholavira UNESCO World Heritage site and talked about sports infrastructure in the urban planning of this 5000-year-old city.