The Indian Coast Guard Ship Samudra Prahari had previously set sail on an overseas mission to ASEAN countries from September 11th, 2023, to October 14th, 2023.
- It was commissioned on October 9, 2010, in Mumbai.
- This vessel is a testament to India’s dedication to safeguarding its coastal and marine environments.
- It is equipped with state-of-the-art pollution control equipment which is designed to respond to environmental crises.
- The vessel is equipped with some advanced tools like Hi-Sprint Booms and river booms, Skimmers and Side Sweeping Arms which are mainly used to handle oil spills and contain any oil spillage aiding in the recovery efforts.
- Chetak Helicopter, specifically configured for Pollution Response is also housed within the vessel.
- One striking feature of the vessel is that it is capable of undergoing unmanned machinery operations.
During its deployment, Samudra Prahari is scheduled to make important port calls in the following ASEAN countries:
- Bangkok, Thailand
- Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
- Jakarta, Indonesia
International Outreach: Puneet Sagar Abhiyan:
- As part of an international outreach program, Samudra Prahari has welcomed 13 National Cadet Corps (NCC) cadets on board. This collaboration aims to promote environmental awareness and engagement.
- The NCC cadets will actively participate in “Puneet Sagar Abhiyan,” an initiative focused on beach clean-ups and similar environmental activities.
- These efforts will be conducted in coordination with partner nations, fostering camaraderie and shared responsibility in safeguarding our coastal ecosystems.
- The inclusion of NCC cadets underscores India’s commitment to nurturing environmentally conscious leaders of tomorrow.
- The “Puneet Sagar Abhiyan” not only promotes environmental stewardship but also strengthens the bonds of friendship and cooperation among ASEAN countries.