AK-203 assault rifles
#GS-03 Science and Technology, #GS-02 International Relations
About AK 203:
- The AK-203 is a Russian gas-operated, magazine-fed, select fire assault rifle designed to chamber the 7.62×39mm cartridge.
- The AK-203 was developed in the 2010s by Kalashnikov Concern in Russia.
- AK-203 rifles are fitted with integral Picatinny rails for a convenient and easy mounting of sights and tactical accessories, enabling the effective use of weapons in various conditions.
- The Indian Army is procuring 670,000 AK-203 assault rifles to replace the INSAS, through a contract with Russia.
- The first 70,000 rifles were purchased from Russia and delivered in January 2022.
- The remaining 600,000 rifles will be manufactured in Amethi, India under a transfer of technology agreement, by joint venture company Indo-Russia Rifles Private Limited (IRRPL).
Indo-Russia Rifles Private Limited:
- To manufacture the rest of the rifles the Indo-Russia Rifles Private Limited was set up in 2019 which has set up Korwa Ordnance Factory in Amethi district.
- The Korwa Ordnance Factory is ready to start manufacturing Kalashnikov AK-203 assault rifles by the end of 2022.
- In future, the joint venture may increase production and modernise facilities to manufacture advanced rifles based on the Kalashnikov assault rifle platform.
- Rosoboronexport is a state-owned company, which accounts for over 85 per cent of Russia’s exports of arms and military equipment.
- The company has worked together with Indian authorities for the licensed production of multirole Su-30MKI fighter jets in India, and the modernisation and transfer of the Vikramaditya aircraft carrier to the Indian Navy.
- Rosoboronexport will be participating in the mega DefExpo 2022 due to begin in Gujarat on 18th October.