C-Vigil App Assistance
The official stated that as many as 2,389 complaints have been received using the cVIGIL mobile application thus far, citing greater citizen participation in upholding the Model Code of Conduct (MCC). According to him, 1,979 complaints were confirmed to be true.
Points to Ponder:
- The Election Commission of India created the cVIGIL app to allow users to report Model Code of Conduct infractions during elections.
- The app allows users to snap a photo or video of any breach of the Model Code of Conduct and report it to the appropriate electoral authority.
- The software includes features such as auto location collection and time stamping to confirm the report’s legitimacy.
- The app also has a status tracking tool that allows citizens to monitor the progress of their complaints.
- The Cvigil app is free to download on both the Android and iOS platforms.
- Since its release in 2018, the app has been widely utilized in Indian elections, and it has been lauded for boosting openness and accountability in the electoral process.
- Several prizes and recognitions have been bestowed upon the cVIGIL app, including the renowned National e-Governance Award in 2019.
- The software has been effective in reducing electoral malpractices such as the distribution of cash, spirits, and other inducements to voters, vandalism of public property, and hate speech during elections.
- The Cvigil app is part of the Government of India’s bigger Digital India effort, which aspires to convert India into a digitally enabled society and knowledge economy.