Coastal Security Exercise Sagar Kavach
Sagar Kavach 02/23 – a two-day Coastal Security Exercise was conducted by the Indian Navy which spanned across the coastal regions of Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, and the Union Territory of Puducherry from October 11 to 12, 2023.
- The operation was conducted under the guidance of the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief Eastern Naval Command, who also holds the authority of Commander-in-Chief, Coastal Defence (East).
- The exercise involved the collective efforts of around 2500 personnel who came from various key organizations like Indian Navy, Coast Guard, State and Union Territory Administrations, Marine Police, Fisheries, Customs, Intelligence Agencies, Lighthouses, Ports, and Forest Departments.
To evaluate the efficiency and robustness of the coastal security apparatus when confronted with asymmetric threats emerging from the sea.
- To fulfill this goal, Indian Naval Ships collaborated with assets from the Coast Guard and various other coastal security agencies.
- The implementation of elevated security measures was also showcased, where Extensive aerial surveillance was carried out with the assistance of Dornier aircraft and helicopters, operating from key locations including Visakhapatnam, Chennai, and Ramnathapuram.
- This aerial vigilance added another layer of security, further enhancing the operation’s effectiveness.