Dadasaheb Phalke award for actor Waheeda Rehman
The Dadasaheb Phalke Lifetime Achievement Award will be handed to renowned Bollywood actor Waheeda Rehman in 2021 in recognition of her outstanding contributions to Indian cinema, Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur announced on Tuesday.
Who is the Recipient of the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the year 2023?
- Honoree: Waheeda Rehman, an actress who is 85 years old, will receive the Dadasaheb Phalke Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Notable Movies: Waheeda Rehman has won praise from critics for her performances in several Hindi movies, including “Pyaasa,” “Kaagaz ke Phool,” “Chaudhavi Ka Chand,” “Saheb Biwi Aur Ghulam,” “Guide,” and “Khamoshi.”
- Profession Highlights: With a career spanning more than five decades, Waheeda Rehman is renowned for playing her roles with utmost elegance. She won a national cinema honour for her performance as a clanswoman in the movie “Reshma aur Shera.”
What is the Dadasaheb Phalke Lifetime Achievement Award?
The Dadasaheb Phalke Award is indeed India’s highest honour in the field of cinema
- Significance: Dadasaheb Phalke Award recipients are announced each year during the National Film Awards event. It is regarded as the most esteemed honour in Indian cinema.
- Organizer: The Directorate of Film Festivals, a unit of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, is responsible for planning and giving out the prize.
- Criteria: Awards are given in recognition of the recipients’ “outstanding contributions to the growth and development of Indian cinema.” Eminent figures from the Indian cinema industry serve on the selection committee.
- Components of the award: The Dadasaheb Phalke Award comes with a shawl, a medallion called the Swarna Kamal (Golden Lotus), and a cash award of 1,000,000 rupees.
- Inception: The award was established in 1969 by the Indian government to honour Dadasaheb Phalke, a visionary director who made significant contributions to Indian cinema. The first full-length feature film made in India, “Raja Harishchandra” (1913), was directed by Dadasaheb Phalke, who is frequently referred to as “the father of Indian cinema.”
- First Recipient: Actress Devika Rani earned the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the first time at the 17th National Film Awards.
- Total awardees people have received awards overall as of 2022, with actress Asha Parekh receiving the 68th National Film Awards for the year 2020.
- Posthumous Awardees: Actors Prithviraj Kapoor (1971) and Vinod Khanna (2017) are the two honorees who received posthumous awards. The prize was accepted by Raj Kapoor, Prithviraj Kapoor’s son on his behalf.
The Dadasaheb Phalke Award, which honours remarkable achievements in Indian cinema, is extremely prestigious in the Indian film industry.