DRDO drone crashes in Karnataka
On Sunday, farmland in the Chitradurga region of Karnataka was the site of a collision involving a DRDO unmanned testing aircraft.
What is TAPAS?
TAPAS BH-201, also known as the Tactical Airborne Platform for Aerial Surveillance-Beyond Horizon-201(Sanskrit: tápas, “Heat”), is an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) being developed in India by the Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) along the lines of the General Atomics MQ-1 Predator.
What are the features and capabilities of the Drone?
- Enhanced aerodynamic configuration, computerized flight control, navigation systems, and communication intelligence are the main elements of the design.
- able to conduct all-weather surveillance thanks to its medium and long-range electro-optic payloads and synthetic aperture radar.
- Situational awareness tools and electronic intelligence systems are examples of payloads.
- Real-time relay of battlefield conditions is made possible by a satellite communication link.
What were the developmental challenges that were addressed?
- The difficulties of engine selection and weight reduction were addressed.
- Upgrades to power plants were made, including the construction of locally produced engines and engine replacements.
- In order to address stability difficulties, improved control systems and communication linkages were implemented.
What are the Key accomplishments and achievements made by TAPAS?
- take-off and landing autonomously while using GPS for navigation.
- Attained benchmarks in altitude and endurance, including 25,000 feet (10 hours), 28,000 feet (18 hours), and higher.
- superior ground control and image exploitation capabilities impressed the Indian Armed Forces..
- The drone’s capabilities were displayed in front of the general public during Aero India 2023.
- Successful tests showed how to transfer command and control to a naval vessel aboard when required.
What are the future applications of the TAPAS drone in the Armed Forces?
Reconnaissance and surveillance
- The main function of TAPAS-BH-201 is ISR (intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance). It has the ability to autonomously loiter at great heights, giving situational awareness with real-time, high-resolution imagery and data.
- It can be used for sensitive area monitoring, border surveillance, and coastal surveillance.
- The drone’s sensors, which include electro-optic payloads and synthetic aperture radar (SAR), enable it to acquire vital information on the movements, positions, and activities of the enemy.
- It can offer crucial information for making decisions during military operations.
Target identification and acquisition:
- The UAV is equipped with laser designators that allow it to identify targets for precise artillery or other aircraft strikes.
- High-value targets can be chosen and designated by it for efficient engagement.
- The TAPAS-BH-201 can continuously support combat operations due to its durability and real-time data relay capabilities.
- It may assess the success of strikes, keep an eye on ongoing battles, and communicate vital information to commanders.
Search and Rescue:
- Rescue efforts involving drones can benefit greatly from their ability to provide continual observation.
- Finding lost people, survivors, or crashed planes may benefit from it.