Godavari in Spate, Flood Warning Issued
- Also called Dakshin Ganga.
- It is the largest Peninsular River system and second longest river in India after Ganga.
- Origin: From Trimbakeshwar near Nashik in Maharashtra and flows into Bay of Bengal.
- Tributaries: Pravara, Purna, Manjra, Penganga, Wardha, Wainganga, Pranhita (combined flow of Wainganga, Penganga, Wardha), Indravati, Maner and the Sabri.
- Kumbh Mela is conducted on the banks of Godavari in Nashik.
- Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation is a multi-purpose irrigation project on the Godavari River.
- It was originally called the Pranahita-Chevella project.
- Polavaram Irrigation Project is another major irrigation project over Godavari River.
- This will allow Godavari River to be linked with Krishna River through canals.
Source The Hindu
For more updates, Click Here