Indian Study Supports Same-Sex Marriage
With the Supreme Court set to hear petitions seeking legal recognition for same-sex marriages on Tuesday, a survey among Indians has concluded that legalizing such unions will have a “positive impact on LGBTQIA+ individuals’ mental health.”Marriage equality, according to 93% of survey respondents, will minimize mental health-related distress.
Points to Ponder:
- A study titled “The anticipated impact of LGBTQIA+ marriage equality legislation on Indian society and mental health” discovered that legalizing same-sex marriage in India will improve the mental health of LGBTQIA+ people.
- The study was based on an online poll of Indians performed by six researchers to learn about their attitudes regarding same-sex marriage legalization.
- Out of a total of 5,825 respondents, 95% supported the legalization of LGBTQIA+ marriage, and 93% agreed that marriage equality would reduce mental health-related hardship in youth.
- The study discovered that legalizing same-sex marriage and marimarriageality would improve LGBTQIA+ people’s wellwell-beinggal safety, and access to legal rights.
- While legalizing marriage would not guarantee social acceptance, it will provide a greater sense of community and social solidarity, allowing them to acquire important rights, according to one of the study’s co-authors, neurologist Megha Sharda.
- The study also found that the Supreme Court’s decriminalization of Section 377 had a favorable influence on the mental health of LGBTQIA+ people.
- According to the study, legalizing same-sex marriage will improve mental health outcomes in LGBTQIA+ adolescents and families, including lower levels of anxiety, depression, suicidal ideation, sorrow, and so on.
- Furthermore, legalizing same-sex marriage would bring LGBT couples’ lived experiences to light.
- According to one study respondent, legalizing same-sex marriage would boost self-esteem while also lowering anxiety and depression in the gay community, who have the same right as everyone else to be with whom they love, have children, cohabit, own assets together, and more.