Maiden 360 Degree Appraisal System
The Indian Navy has introduced a new and innovative ‘360 Degree Appraisal Mechanism’ for its promotion boards.
Maiden 360 Degree Appraisal System:
- It recognizes the important role played by the men and women who serve in the Navy.
- Most importantly, it aims to promote their professional and personal development.
- The current appraisal systems rely on senior officers providing periodic Confidential Reports.
- However, this approach has inherent limitations:
- ‘Top-down’ assessment that doesn’t consider or quantify a leader’s impact on subordinates.
- To address this shortcoming, the Indian Navy has introduced the ‘360 Degree Appraisal Mechanism.’
- The ‘360 Degree Appraisal Mechanism’ involves conducting extensive surveys involving selected peers and subordinates for each officer under consideration for promotion which covers a range of questions like professional knowledge, leadership qualities, suitability in times of war or crisis, and potential for higher ranks.
- The feedback gathered are then carefully analyzed by a board of officers, led by a Flag Officer, ensuring a fair and comprehensive evaluation.
Feedback for Improvement:
- This new system provides valuable feedback to the officers being assessed which can prove instrumental in bringing about positive behavioral changes and improvements in their performance.