MDO (Mine Developer and Operator) mode
Pelma to become SECL’s first opencast mine to produce coal under MDO mode.
GS – 03 (Mineral & Energy Resources, Energy Security)
MDO Mode: Revolutionizing Mine Operation
- The Mine Developer and Operator (MDO) mode represents a fresh approach to mine operations, aimed at efficiently fulfilling the nation’s energy needs.
- In this model, the responsibilities of designing, financing, procurement, construction, operation, and maintenance of a mine are taken on by private enterprises.
- Pelma Collieries, under the agreement with SECL, will undertake the operation of the Pelma opencast mine for the next two decades.
Pelma Opencast Mine:
- The Pelma opencast mine, situated in the Raigarh area, is poised to become a trailblazer in this endeavor. This collaborative effort will span 20 years and entails the extraction of over 219 million tonnes of coal, with an annual target of 15 million tonnes.
- The mine is anticipated to yield high-quality G-12 grade coal, a valuable resource for the nation’s energy sector.
Impact on Coal Production and National Goals:
- SECL’s adoption of the MDO mode holds the promise of boosting coal production and contributing to the realization of the ambitious goal of achieving 1 billion tonnes of coal production set by Coal India.
- This innovative approach allows for a symbiotic partnership between the government and private entities, fostering efficient resource utilization and energy security.
SECL’s Successful Initiatives:
- The Ketki UG mine in the Bishrampur area has achieved a significant milestone by becoming the first coal mine in India to produce coal under the MDO mode.
- The Kalyani UG Mine of Bhatgaon area has been awarded the Letter of Award, signifying its transition to MDO operation under a revenue-sharing model.