Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS)
#GS-02 Social Welfare, #GS-03 Employment
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme was launched on 2nd February 2006 under the MGNREG Act.
- Its aim is to guarantee 100 days of employment in every financial year to adult members of any rural household willing to do public work-related unskilled manual work.
- It also aims to create durable assets in rural areas such as wells, ponds, roads and canals.
- MGNREGS can help reduce migration from rural areas to urban areas, thereby reducing the population stress felt by major cities in India.
Provisions of MGNREGS:
- Unlike previous employment guarantee schemes, MGNREGS aims at tackling the root causes of poverty by creating a rights–based framework which will also help to improve public infrastructure.
- The statutory obligations of MGNREGS says that at least one-third of beneficiaries have to be women.
- The minimum wages specified for agricultural labourers in the state under the Minimum Wages Act, 1948 must be paid to workers under MGNREGA.
- Employment must be provided to the applicant within 15 days of the application.
- Works conducted under MGNREGS must undergo social audit.
- The Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) is the implementing agency for MGNREGS.
The Eligibility criteria:
- The applicant must be a citizen of India.
- They must have completed 18 years of age at the time of application.
- The applicant must be part of a local household in a rural area.
National Mobile Monitoring System
- National Mobile Monitoring System app was launched by Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) on May 2021.
- The app is meant for “improving citizen oversight and increasing transparency” in MGNREGS works.
- The app allows for the real-time, photographed, geo-tagged attendance to be taken for every worker once in each half of the day.
- The app is to be deployed by MGNREGA Mates who are local women who are selected and trained to monitor MGNREGS worksites.
- Attendance of workers employed under the MGNREGS all over the country needs to be captured using NMMS from January 1st 2023