#GS 02 Gender Equality
- Mission Shakti is an integrated women empowerment programme which was launched as an umbrella scheme for the safety, security and empowerment of women.
- The scheme was launched to be completed during the 15th Finance Commission period i.e., 2021-22 to 2025-26.
- The norms of ‘Mission Shakti’ became applicable with effect from 01.04.2022.
- It aims to address issues affecting women on a life-cycle continuum basis and by making them equal partners in nation-building through convergence and citizen-ownership.
Components of Mission Shakti
‘Mission Shakti’ has been divided into two sub-schemes.
- The “Sambal” sub-scheme is enacted for improving the safety and security of women.
- The scheme will improve accessibility and integrate all efforts and various government initiatives towards improving the safety and protection of women.
- It is also aimed at securing women’s rights and entitlements to a comprehensive continuous care.
- It will also support women affected by violence and in distress and assist them in re-emerging as integrated partners in nation-building.
- ‘Sambal’ sub-scheme will also incorporate the erstwhile schemes of, One Stop Centre (OSC), Women Helpline (WHL), Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP).
- It will also include a new component of Nari Adalats which are women’s collectives to promote and facilitate alternative dispute resolution and gender justice in society and within families.
- The scheme will improve accessibility to various government services available for women at various levels through reinforcement.
- It will also promote convergence for development and empowerment of women.
- The scheme is aimed towards social, cultural, political, and economic development and empowerment of women.
- ‘Samarthya’ sub-scheme will incorporate erstwhile schemes of Ujjwala, Swadhar Greh, Working Women Hostel has been included with modifications, National Creche Scheme for children of working mothers, Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) under the umbrella of ICDS.