Modi pays tribute to Patel
On the occasion of India’s first Home Minister’s birth anniversary, Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid floral homage to Sardar Vallabhai Patel at the Statue of Unity in Narmada, Gujarat, on Tuesday. He also initiated various development initiatives at the Statue of Unity, which has become a prominent tourist attraction. With a height of 182 meters, it is the world’s highest statue. Every year, around three million people visit the site.
What do we know about Sardar Vallabhai Patel?
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel was born in Nadiad, Gujarat, India, on October 31, 1875.
- Lawyer by Profession: After studying law in England, he returned to India and became a successful lawyer.
- Role in the Indian Independence Movement:
- Patel was a pivotal figure in the fight for India’s independence from British colonial authority.
- He was a major member of the Indian National Congress and collaborated with Mahatma Gandhi on several civil disobedience events and campaigns.
- Iron Man of India: Sardar Patel is known as the “Iron Man of India” because of his steadfast commitment and leadership in uniting India after independence.
- Integration of Princely States:
- One of his major achievements was the incorporation of over 560 princely states into the newly independent India. His efforts ensured that these princely nations joined the Indian Union rather than seceding or joining Pakistan.
- This integration process was crucial in defining India’s current map.
- First Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister:
- Patel was India’s first Deputy Prime Minister as well as its first Home Minister.
- During India’s early years of independence, he was instrumental in formulating its internal and foreign policies.
- Architect of Civil Services:
- Patel was essential in building India’s present civil services structure. He is widely regarded as having laid the groundwork for India’s administrative architecture.
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel died in Bombay (now Mumbai), India, on December 15, 1950.
What is the unity of the statue?
- The Statue of Unity is a statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, an Indian politician who contributed to India’s unification. The statue is situated on the Narmada River in Gujarat, India. It debuted on October 31, 2018.
- It was dedicated to the 143rd birthday of Vallabhbhai Patel, October 31, 2018.
- The statue was designed by Indian sculptor Ram V. Sutar and chosen by a group of historians, artists, and intellectuals.
- The statue is 182 meters (597 feet) tall, making it the tallest in the world.
- The statue is situated on Sadhu Bet, a river island, near Kevadia in Gujarat, India, facing the Sardar Sarovar Dam.
The Statue of Unity honours Vallabhbhai Patel’s leadership and his role in uniting the princely states to construct India’s present political border. It is a significant landmark and an engineering marvel in India.