Modi presents a 12-point proposal to expand India-ASEAN relations
At the annual ASEAN-India Summit on Thursday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi outlined a 12-point plan to increase collaboration between India and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in several areas, including connectivity, trade, and digital transformation, while also advocating for the creation of a post-COVID world order based on rules.
What is ASEAN Grouping?
ASEAN, or the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, is a Southeast Asian regional organization with 10 member countries. The ASEAN Declaration was signed on August 8, 1967, by the foreign ministers of Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand. ASEAN has evolved and expanded its ambitions beyond its basic goal of limiting communism to become a significant regional political and economic union.
What is the 12-point proposal proposed by PM Modi in ASEAN?
At the ASEAN-India Summit, Prime Minister Narendra Modi outlined his vision for expanding collaboration between India and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in various areas in a 12-point proposal.
- Establishing an economic corridor and multimodal connectivity between India, South-East Asia, West Asia, and Europe
- Offer to ASEAN allies to share India’s Digital Public Infrastructure Stack
- Focusing on collaboration in financial connectivity and digital transformation, the ASEAN-India Fund for the Digital Future
- The Economic and Research Institute of ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA) will continue to receive funding in its role as a knowledge partner for boosting participation.
- Call for addressing concerns faced by the Global South collectively through international fora
- An invitation to ASEAN nations to join the WHO-established Global Center for Traditional Medicine in India
- Encouragement to collaborate on a mission LiFE
- Offer to talk about India’s experience in getting people access to affordable, high-quality medications Dechadhi Kendras
- A request for cooperation in the fight against terrorism, financing of terrorism, and online misinformation
- To join the Coalition for Disaster Resistant Infrastructure, the ASEAN nations are invited.
- Encourage collaboration in disaster management
- Encourage more collaboration on marine security, safety, and domain awareness
Overall, the proposal made by Prime Minister Modi during the ASEAN-India Summit demonstrates India’s dedication to enhancing its ties with ASEAN nations, boosting regional cooperation, tackling security issues, and supporting economic growth and connectivity in the Asia-Pacific region.