National Ayush Mission
- Cost effective Ayush services under the National Ayush Mission (NAM) have gotten major boost in the Union Budget 2022 presented by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitaraman today.
- The total allocation of budget to Ayush Ministry in last 7 years has increased over four times from 691 Cr to Rs 3050 Cr.
- Recognizing the importance of traditional medicine system of India including Yoga and Naturopathy in current pandemic led situation, the central government has been emphasizing in the augmentation of works done by Ayush Ministry.
- In the present budget, this is reflected in increase of budget provisions in various Ayush sectors and core areas.
- Increasing Budget amount, under NAM, a Centre sponsored scheme, up to Rs 800 Crore will help Ayush in the upgradation of its hospitals and dispensaries, support cultivation of medicinal plants and in many other areas including increase in export of value added items of medicinal plants.
- The NAM had earlier received the budget of Rs 500 Cr.
- In another area that saw the big boost is Champion service Sector Scheme. The budget has been doubled in this scheme that is from Rs 29.6 Cr to Rs 60.22 Cr.
The National Ayush Mission is a centrally sponsored scheme launched in 2014 by the Department of Ayush, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- The fundamental objective of the NAM is to promote the AYUSH systems of medicine through cost-effective services, boosting its educational systems, quality control of AYUSH drugs and ensuring the sustainable availability of AYUSH raw materials.
- AYUSH stands for Ayurveda, Siddha, Unani and Homoeopathy systems of medicine.
- The vision of the Ayush Mission are:
- Providing cost-effective and equitable AYUSH healthcare all over India by enhancing access to the services.
- Strengthening and revitalizing the AYUSH systems enabling them to become prominent medical streams in the country in the healthcare sector.
- Improving educational institutions that can impart knowledge in AYUSH streams.
- Promoting quality control of AYUSH drugs by developing quality standards and ensuring the availability of AYUSH raw materials.
Source: THE HINDU.