Param Vir Chakra
Param Vir Chakra
- Param Vir Chakra is the highest gallantry award conferred by India during wartime and was instituted on 26 January, 1950 on the first Republic Day.
- It is awarded for most conspicuous bravery or some daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice, in the presence of an enemy, whether on land, at sea or in the air.
- Param Vir Chakra translates as the “Wheel of the Ultimate Brave.”
- Major Somanth Sharma, from the Kumaon regiment, was the first winner of the award.
- As of 2022, the Param Vir Chakra has been awarded to only 21 people.
The Param Vir Chakra Awardees
|Sl. No||Name||Rank||Unit||Date of Action||Conflict|
|1||Somnath Sharma||Major||Kumaon Regiment||3 November 1947||Battle of Badgam|
|2||Jadunath Singh||Naik||Rajput Regiment||6 February 1948||Indo-Pakistani War of 1947|
|3||Rama Raghoba Rane||Second Lieutenant||Bombay Sappers||8 April 1948||Indo-Pakistani War of 1947|
|4||Piru Singh||Company Havildar Major||Rajputana Rifles||17 July 1948||Indo-Pakistani War of 1947|
|5||Karam Singh||Lance Naik||Sikh Regiment||13 October 1948||Indo-Pakistani War of 1947|
|6||Gurbachan Singh Salaria||Captain||1 Gorkha Rifles[d]||5 December 1961||Congo Crisis|
|7||Dhan Singh Thapa||Major||8 Gorkha Rifles||20 October 1962||Sino-Indian War|
|8||Joginder Singh||Subedar||Sikh Regiment||23 October 1962||Sino-Indian War|
|9||Shaitan Singh||Major||Kumaon Regiment||18 November 1962||Sino-Indian War|
|10||Abdul Hamid||Company Quarter Master Havildar||The Grenadiers||10 September 1965||Battle of Asal Uttar|
|11||Ardeshir Tarapore||Lieutenant Colonel||Poona Horse||11 September 1965||Battle of Chawinda|
|12||Albert Ekka||Lance Naik||Brigade of the Guards||3 December 1971||Battle of Hilli|
|13||Nirmal Jit Singh Sekhon||Flying Officer||No. 18 Squadron IAF||14 December 1971||Indo-Pakistani War of 1971|
|14||Arun Khetarpal||Second Lieutenant||Poona Horse||16 December 1971||Battle of Basantar|
|15||Hoshiar Singh Dahiya||Major||The Grenadiers||17 December 1971||Battle of Basantar|
|16||Bana Singh||Naib Subedar||Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry||23 May 1987||Operation Rajiv|
|17||Ramaswamy Parameshwaran||Major||Mahar Regiment[e]||25 November 1987||Operation Pawan|
|18||Manoj Kumar Pandey||Lieutenant||11 Gorkha Rifles||3 July 1999||Operation Vijay|
|19||Yogendra Singh Yadav||Grenadier||The Grenadiers||4 July 1999||Battle of Tiger Hill|
|20||Sanjay Kumar||Rifleman||Jammu and Kashmir Rifles||5 July 1999||Kargil War|
|21||Vikram Batra||Captain||Jammu and Kashmir Rifles||7 July 1999||Operation Vijay|
For more updates, click here