PIB Analysis 04-10-22
Network Planning Group (NPG)
- Network Planning Group (NPG) constituted under the institutional framework of ‘PM GatiShakti’ has recommended 3 important road connectivity projects.
- These are Construction of Four Lane Highway from Gazipur – Ballia – UP/Bihar State Border, Improvement and Up-gradation of Existing Road from 2-Lane to 4–lane in Uttar Pradesh and Moradabad & Kashipur bypasses in UP, Uttarakhand.
- As a part of the proposal in the 33rd Meeting of the NPG, 3 critical agendas were discussed and recommendations were made as follows:
Construction of Four Lane Highway from Gazipur – Ballia – UP/Bihar State Border
- For better freight flow, and interstate multimodal connectivity in Uttar Pradesh. The proposal was for a 4-lane highway (in greenfield) to connect the economic centers for (Lucknow, Varanasi, Azamgarh, and Mau cities). This will ensure shortest connectivity from south Bihar to Delhi. The highway will serve the Lucknow defense corridor at two points (Banaras and Pruvanchal expressway).
Improvement and Up-gradation of Existing Road from 2-Lane to 4–lane in Uttar Pradesh
- The proposal was to make 2 lane roads into 4 lanes for upgradation and improvement of the Roads. The proposal is for 4 – a lane bypass Palia – Shahjahanpur – Hardoi – Lucknow. This project is a part of strategic border roads of Indo – Nepal border road project (INBRP) of Ministry of Home Affairs providing connectivity to Indo – Nepal border and facilitating SSB mobility. It will also ensure connectivity to Bardoi National Park. It will also enhance the freight flow and traffic movement.
Moradabad & Kashipur bypasses in UP, Uttarakhand.
- The proposal was for a 4-lane Bypass Project (brownfield) for decongestion, and to reduce travel time. The project provides interstate connectivity between Uttar Pradesh- Uttarakhand -bypass connecting major economic centers of the region. It serves as a trade route for India – Bangladesh, and India- Bhutan – Bangladesh. It will provide connectivity to Jim Corbett National Park.