PIB Analysis 04-10-22
Measures by Government to ensure price control
- Central Government has reduced the import duty on edible oils in order to make them cheaper. The industry has been asked to ensure that the complete benefit of the reduced duty is passed on to the consumers invariably.
- The continuous monitoring by the Government and interactions with the edible oil industry, has ensured that the benefit of the decline in the international prices of edible oil is being passed on to the consumers.
- The Government is closely monitoring the price situation of all major commodities in wake of geo-political scenarios including extreme weather conditions around the globe.
- A Committee is in place in the Department of Food & Public Distribution which reviews the prices of all major commodities and appropriate timely measures are taken to keep a check on the prices in view of the interest of the farmers, industry and consumers.
- Wholesale prices of wheat in the domestic mandis have declined and the Wheat prices in India stabilised as the Central Government effected a series of policy interventions on the export of foodgrains.
- Chief Election Commissioner launched a yearlong Voter Awareness Program – ‘Matdata Junction.’
- The ‘Matdata Junction’ is a 52 episode radio series produced by the Election Commission of India, in collaboration with All India Radio.
- The program as a combination of information and entertainment, would specifically help address urban apathy and inform the audience about the election processes in the conduct of free, fair, transparent, inducement free, accessible and inclusive elections in an interactive communication format.
- The 52-episode series will cover various aspects of election and related processes from voters’ perspective.
- It will have thematic episodes on voter registration, Informed & Ethical Voting, Value of Vote, Inclusive & Accessible Elections, Model Code of Conduct, IT Applications, EVMs, stories of election officials, BLOs, etc.
- All episodes include interactive messaging aimed at encouraging eligible citizens and especially the young and first-time voters to vote and make an informed decision during the elections.
- The series will be in the genre of infotainment program having a kaleidoscope of drama, storytelling, Quiz, Experts’ interview, and Songs produced by the SVEEP (Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation) division of the Election Commission of India in every episode.
- The program includes a Citizen’s Corner where any citizen can ask a query or also provide suggestions for making elections inclusive and participative.