PIB Analysis 14-11-22
National Workshop on Localization of Sustainable Development Goals
- A three-day National Workshop on Localization of Sustainable Development Goals in Gram Panchayats through Adopting Thematic Approaches:
- Theme 1: Poverty Free and Enhanced Livelihood Gram Panchayats is being organised during 14 – 16 November, 2022 at CIAL Convention Centre, Kochi, Kerala.
- The workshop is being organised by the Ministry of Panchayat Raj, Government of India in close collaboration with Local Self Government Department (LSGD), Government of Kerala and Kerala Institute of Local Administration (KILA), Thrissur, Kerala.
This workshop aims to create awareness on the national level importance of addressing
- inclusion and access to basic services, social safety nets and protection systems – leveraging National Social Assistance Programme (NSAP), Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) and National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) through Panchayats, and
- the role of Panchayats in addressing income inequality & poverty, eradicating extreme poverty and improving employment opportunities for poor, vulnerable and marginalized sections and
- Resilience building of vulnerable communities against the sudden shocks brought about by disasters and extreme climate events.
The National Workshop endeavours to achieve following objectives:
- Creating a space for peer-learning for Gram Panchayats by exchange ideas and experience sharing with other States
- Facilitating dialogue between elected representatives of Panchayats and policy makers, Civil Society Organisations, NGOs, Domain Experts
- Strengthening implementation strategy on Theme 1: Poverty Free and Enhanced Livelihood Gram Panchayats
- Releasing Kerala State Roadmap on SDG localisation in Panchayats
- Disseminating and deliberating innovative ideas around Theme 1 (Poverty Free and Enhanced Livelihood Gram Panchayats).
The National Workshop will serve as an appropriate platform for deliberative action and experiential learning for the Gram Panchayats.
It will be participatory and exploratory which will adopt three-fold process:
- Presentations will be made by Panchayats and domain experts by showing the video prepared on the exemplary work they have been doing for last few years.
- They will showcase the process they had adopted, and impact created in their respective Gram Panchayats or area of intervention.
Group / Panel discussions:
- Panels consisting of Panchayat representatives, domain experts, NGOs along with senior officials of line Departments have been formed which will be chaired by respective Secretary of the concerned Department of Government of India and State Government.
- Based on the video presentations, panel will discuss the topic shown in the video to be facilitated by senior officials.
- Representative questions from participants will be taken and addressed by participating Gram Panchayats and experts.
- Deliberations and discussions will not happen in four walls of the workshop venue but it will take participants from other States to the Gram Panchayats of Kerala to showcase the work Gram Panchayats in Kerala have undertaken.
- State representatives will travel to assigned Gram Panchayats and have first-hand experience of the work done and impact it has created.
- This will help participants to understand the process the Gram Panchayats in Kerala adopted.
- Field visit will be coordinated and facilitated by Local Self Government Department (LSGD), Government of Kerala and Kerala institute of Local Administration (KILA) along with Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India.