Pioneering Green Hydrogen Fuel Cell Bus
The Union Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas recently unveiled India’s maiden Green Hydrogen Fuel Cell Bus in New Delhi.
Green Hydrogen Fuel Cells:
- These are exceptional sources of clean, dependable, noiseless, and efficient electric power that harnesses Green Hydrogen as a fuel for an electrochemical process that generates electricity, producing only water and heat as by-products.
- Green Hydrogen: Green hydrogen is produced through electrolysis, utilizing renewable energy sources like wind and solar power. This process splits water (H2O) into its elements, hydrogen (H2) and oxygen (O2), without emitting any greenhouse gases.
- Fuel Cell: It is an electrochemical device that converts chemical energy (hydrogen) into electrical energy. It comprises two electrodes (anode and cathode) separated by an electrolyte.
Advantages and Challenges of Green Hydrogen Fuel Cells
- These cells produce only water as a byproduct, rendering them zero-emission energy sources.
- Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles can be rapidly refueled, akin to conventional vehicles.
- Presently, green hydrogen production can be costly, but ongoing research strives to reduce expenses.
- Establishing a hydrogen infrastructure encompassing production, storage, and distribution is pivotal for broad adoption.
Green Hydrogen Fuel Cell Bus: A Pinnacle of Eco-Friendly Mobility
- Emission-Free Travel: The bus employs hydrogen and air to generate electricity, emitting solely water as a by-product, making it an eco-friendly mode of transportation.
- Energy Efficiency: Hydrogen, with three times the energy density of conventional fuels and zero harmful emissions, offers a cleaner and more efficient alternative.
- Upcoming Expansion: Indian Oil envisions introducing 15 additional hydrogen fuel cell buses in Delhi NCR by the end of 2023. These buses will collect performance data under Indian conditions, evaluating efficiency and sustainability.