PM SHRI Schools
The Union Cabinet, under the leadership of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has approved the implementation of a new centrally sponsored scheme called PM SHRI Schools (PM ScHools for Rising India).
GS-02 (Government Policies and Interventions)
Key Features and Objectives:
1. Equitable and Inclusive Education:
- PM SHRI Schools will provide high-quality education in a joyful and inclusive environment, catering to the diverse needs and abilities of children from different backgrounds.
- The scheme will prioritize the cognitive development of students and equip them with essential 21st-century skills.
2. Green and Sustainable Schools:
- PM SHRI Schools will be developed as eco-friendly institutions, incorporating elements such as solar panels, LED lights, nutrition gardens, waste management, and water conservation measures.
- Emphasis will be placed on creating awareness and fostering sustainable practices among students.
3. Innovative Pedagogy:
- The schools will adopt experiential, holistic, and learner-centered pedagogical approaches, encouraging inquiry-driven, discussion-based, and enjoyable learning experiences.
- Learning outcomes will be assessed based on conceptual understanding and the application of knowledge to real-life situations.
4. Strengthening Infrastructure:
- The scheme will focus on improving existing infrastructure by providing science labs, libraries, ICT facilities, vocational labs, and other modern amenities to all PM SHRI Schools.
- Saturation approach will be adopted to ensure that every school receives necessary facilities.
5. Vocational Training and Skill Development:
- PM SHRI Schools will collaborate with sector skill councils and local industries to enhance employability and provide internship and entrepreneurship opportunities.
- Skills will be mapped with developmental projects and nearby industries to develop relevant courses and curriculum.
6. Empowering Students and Promoting Inclusion:
- The scheme aims to promote flexibility in the choice of subjects and encourage the use of mother tongue/local languages as the medium of instruction, leveraging technological interventions to overcome language barriers.
- ICT, smart classrooms, and digital libraries will be implemented in all PM SHRI Schools.
7. Quality Assurance and Monitoring:
- A School Quality Assessment Framework (SQAF) will be developed to measure outcomes and ensure desired standards.
- Regular evaluation and monitoring of schools will be conducted to assess progress and address challenges in implementing the National Education Policy 2020.
- PM SHRI Schools will be implemented through the existing administrative structure available for Samagra Shiksha, Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS), and Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti (NVS).
- States/UTs and other entities must commit to implementing the NEP in its entirety to be considered for selection.
- Geo-tagging of schools will be done, and the services of Bhaskaracharya National Institute for Space Applications and Geo-informatics (BISAG-N) will be utilized for this purpose.
Quality Assurance of PM SHRI Schools:
- PM SHRI Schools will showcase the vision of NEP 2020 and ensure improvement in learning outcomes.
- The scheme aims to develop well-rounded individuals through sports, arts, ICT, and mentorship from higher education institutions and the local entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- The scheme is expected to benefit over 18 lakh students directly.
- The impact will extend to neighboring schools through mentoring and support from PM SHRI Schools.
The PM SHRI Schools scheme represents a significant step towards transforming education in India. By prioritizing quality, inclusivity, sustainability, and innovative pedagogy, these schools will serve as beacons of excellence. With a focus on holistic development and the cultivation of essential skills, PM SHRI Schools will empower the future generation of India to contribute positively to society and achieve their full potential.