SC orders status quo on move to put panel in charge of IOA
About Indian Olympic Association (IOA):
- Indian Olympic Association is the governing body and who is responsible for selecting athletes to represent India for the Olympic Games, the Commonwealth Games etc in India. Its teams play under the name of Team India.
- About International Olympic Committee (IOC):
- The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is a non-governmental agency that governs the matters regarding the administration of the Olympic Games. The IOC as an agency came into existence in 1894.
Aims of IOC
- The IOC aims at ensuring the regular holding of the Olympic Games and fostering the spirit of Olympism and the Olympic movement.
- The Committee decides the rules and regulations regarding the conduct of the Olympic Games. It also decides when and where the next Olympics event will be held.
- To encourage and support measures relating to the medical care and health of athletes;
- To oppose any political or commercial abuse of sport and athletes;
- To encourage and support the efforts of sports organisations and public authorities to provide for the social and professional future of athletes;
- To encourage and support the development of sport for all
- To encourage and support the promotion of ethics and good governance in sport as well as education of youth through sport and to dedicate its efforts to ensuring that, in sport, the spirit of fair play prevails and violence is banned.
- To encourage and support the organisation, development and coordination of sport and sports competitions.
- The modern Olympic Games are the world’s foremost multi-sports event.
- Organised every four years, they include a summer and a winter edition. Athletes from all 206 National Olympic Committees and the IOC Olympic Refugee Team are eligible to compete in a wide range of sporting disciplines and events.
- The first edition of the modern Olympic Games was staged in Athens, Greece, in 1896, while the first winter edition was held in Chamonix, France, in 1924. Since 1994, the Olympic Games have alternated between a summer and winter edition every two years within the four-year period of each Olympiad
Source: THE HINDU