SCO anti-terror exercise
#GS-03 Internal Security #GS-02 International Relations
About Shanghai Cooperation Organisation:
- SCO is a permanent intergovernmental international organization.
- The SCO Charter was signed in 2002 and entered into force in 2003.
- Kazakhstan, China, Kyrgyzstan, Russia and Tajikistan were members of the Shanghai Five which was the predecessor of SCO.
For More information about SCO click here.
- Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure (RATS) is a permanent body of the SCO and is intended to facilitate coordination and interaction between the SCO member states in the fight against terrorism, extremism and separatism.
- The SCO Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure was established by the member states of the Shanghai Convention on 15 June, 2001, in Bishkek, the Kyrgyz Republic.
- The Executive Committee of the Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure (RATS) of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) is the permanent body of the SCO RATS based in Tashkent, the capital of Uzbekistan.
About Manesar Anti-terror 2022:
- Manesar Anti-terror 2022 is a multilateral anti-terror exercise under the framework of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure (RATS).
- The exercise is aimed at exchanging expertise, best practices and build synergy between the Counter Terrorism Forces of the SCO RATS Member Countries to enhance capabilities for conducting Anti-Terrorist operations and countering other security threats collectively.
The main tasks and duties of RATS are as follows:
- Maintaining working relations with competent institutions of the member states and international organisations tackling issues of fighting terrorism, separatism and extremism;
- Assistance in interaction among the member states in preparation and staging of counter-terrorism exercises at the request of concerned member states, preparation and conduct of search operations and other activities in the field of fighting terrorism, separatism and extremism,
- Joint drafting of international legal documents concerning the fight against terrorism, separatism and extremism,
- Gathering and analysis of information coming to the RATS from the member states, formation and filling of RATS data bank,
- Joint formation of a system of effective response to global challenges and threats,
- Preparation and holding of scientific conferences and workshops, assistance in sharing experience in the field of fighting terrorism, separatism and extremism.