Suresh Patel is new CVC, two commissioners take charge
About Central Vigilance Commision
- The CVC was set up in February, 1964 on the recommendations of the Committee on Prevention of Corruption (Santhanam Committee).
- In 2003, Central Vigilance Commission Act was enacted and Central Vigilance Commission was given statutory status.
- CVC is not under any ministry, but is an independent body directly responsible to the parliament.
- The Commission shall consist of-
- a Central Vigilance Commissioner
- not more than two Vigilance Commissioners
Appointment and Term of Office
- The Central Vigilance Commissioner and the Vigilance Commissioners shall be appointed by the President by warrant under his hand and seal.
- The Central Vigilance Commissioner shall hold office for a term of four years from the date on which he enters upon his office or till he attains the age of sixty-five years, whichever is earlier.
- Every Vigilance Commissioner shall hold office for a term of four years from the date on which he enters upon his office or till he attains the age of sixty-five years, whichever is earlier.
Eligibility for further Appointment
- The Central Vigilance Commissioner, on ceasing to hold the office, shall be ineligible for reappointment in the Commission.
- On retirement Vigilance Commissioners are eligible for further appointment as the Central Vigilance Commissioner.
- On ceasing to hold office, the Central Vigilance Commissioner and every other Vigilance Commissioner shall be ineligible for-
- any diplomatic assignment, appointment as administrator of a Union territory and such other assignment or appointment which is required by law to be made by the President by warrant under his hand and seal,
- further employment to any office of profit under the Government of India or the Government of a State.
Salary and Allowances
The salary and allowances payable to and the other conditions of service of–
- The Central Vigilance Commissioner shall be the same as those of the Chairman of the Union Public Service Commission,
- The Vigilance Commissioner shall be the same as those of a Member of the Union Public Service Commission.