Women and India
Women Rulers in India:
- India for all its patriarchal society, India has had multiple women rulers in the country throughout history.
- Even in Puranas we have strong female rulers who were known as wise and bold such as Draupadi and Sita etc.
- Chandragupta I, founder of the Gupta Empire, ruled the kingdom jointly with his queen Kumara Devi.
- Prabhavatigupta was the daughter of Chandra Gupta II of the Gupta Empire and the wife of Rudrasena II of the Vakataka dynasty, and performed administrative duties in her kingdom.
- In the 2nd century BCE, Queen Nayanika (or Naganika) was the ruler and military commander of the Satavahana Empire.
- Rudrama Devi was a monarch of the Kakatiya dynasty in the Deccan Plateau with capital at Warangal of present-day Telangana from 1263 until her death.
- The Gond Rani Durgavati (1524–1564) ruled for fifteen years before losing her life in a battle with Mughal emperor Akbar’s General Asaf Khan in 1564.
- Chand Bibi defended Ahmednagar against the powerful Mughal forces of Akbar in the 1590s.
- Jehangir’s wife Nur Jehan effectively wielded imperial power, and was recognised as the real power behind the Mughal throne.
- Raziya Sultana was the daughter of Mamluk Sultan Shamsuddin Iltutmish who ruled the Delhi Sultanate from 1236 to 20 April 1240.
- Velu Nachiyar, a queen of Sivaganga estate, was one of the earliest Indian queens to fight against the British colonial power in India.
- Kittur Chennamma was the Rani of Kittur, who led an armed force against the British East India Company in 1824 in defiance of the doctrine of lapse.
- Rani Lakshmi Bai, the Queen of Jhansi, led the Indian Rebellion of 1857 against the British in defiance of the doctrine of lapse.
- Begum Hazrat Mahal, the co-ruler of Awadh, was another ruler who led the revolt of 1857 who refused deals with the British and later retreated to Nepal.
- Indira Gandhi who was the daughter of Jawaharlal Nehru was elected as third prime minister of India in 1966.
- She also holds the distinction for being the first and, to date, only female prime minister of India.
- Pratibha Patil served as the 12th and first female President of India spanning from 2007 to 2012.
- Droupadi Murmu who is serving as the 15th president of India since 25 July 2022.
- She is the first person belonging to the tribal community and also the second woman after Pratibha Patil to hold the office.