Aadi Mahotsav 2023
#GS 02 Social Empowerment
- Aadi Mahotsav is an annual Tribal Festival that was started in the year 2017 and is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs & Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED).
- The theme of this year’s festival is “A Celebration of the Spirit of Tribal Crafts, Culture and Commerce.”
- The festival is used to showcase the traditional art and handicrafts and cultural heritage of the country.
- The nine-day tribal festival is scheduled between 16th and 27th of February
Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED)
- TRIFED was created in 1987 under the Multi-State Cooperative Societies Act, of 1984.
- It is a national-level apex organization working under the administrative control of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- The organisation helps the tribal people in exploring and creating opportunities to market the products they developed in national and international markets on a sustainable basis.
- Under the TRIBES India brand, the sourced handcrafted products from the tribal people are marketed and sold.
- TRIFED aims at the socio-economic development of tribal people in the country through marketing development of the tribal products such as metal craft, tribal textiles, pottery, tribal paintings and pottery which becomes a major portion of the income of tribal people.
- TRIFED achieves this by acting as a facilitator and service provider for tribes to sell their product.
- TRIFED uses this approach to empower tribal people with the knowledge, tools and pool of information to give them the ability to undertake their operations in a more systematic and scientific manner.
Source “Modi opens Aadi Mahotsav, says world has a lot to learn from tribes“