IAF sacks 3 officers in missile firing case
- BrahMos is a supersonic cruise missile developed as a joint venture between the Defence Research and Development Organisation of India (DRDO) and the NPOM of Russia.
- It also holds the distinction of being the fastest cruise missile in the world.
- It is capable of carrying a nuclear warhead as well as a conventional warhead.
- It is named after Brahmaputra and Moskva rivers.
- It is a fire and forget missile meaning that it doesn’t require guidance after launch.
- It is a multiplatform missile and can be launched from air, ground and sea and submarines.
- Sukhoi Su-30 MKI has been designated as the carrier for the air launched variant.
- Its initial range was 290 km but since India’s entry into the MTCR (Missile Technology Control Regime) it is planned to extend the range to 450 km and to 600km at a later stage.
- Philippines has become the first non-Indian military to induct BrahMos into their arsenal.
What are Standard Operating Procedures (SOP):
A standard operating procedure is a set of instructions applicable to those features of operations that lend themselves to a definite or standardized procedure without the loss of effectiveness.
The purpose of an SOP is to standardize how a unit operates through the use of organizational best practices to preserve the efficacy of the organization.
SOURCE: THE HINDU
For more updates click here