India – Australia Relations
- India and Australia are gearing up for a bilateral summit which is widely anticipated across the world.
- Noted personalities from both the countries are up for the fifth round of the most important bilateral Track 1.5 dialogue
- The Indo-Australia relations which was bitter in the 1950’s have gradually been deepened with growing ties between the two countries.
- It is widely recognized that Canberra’s relationship with New Delhi is among the most important and critical for the future of the Indo-Pacific.
- It is observed that for the most period of 20th century India and Australia rarely had a meaningful conversation.
What made the two countries to stay away from each other?
- The Cold War Era
- India’s Closed Economy
- the White Australia policy
- Australia’s restriction of not exporting Uranium to India. Etc.
Improvement in the bilateral ties:
- Both the countries being two English-speaking, multicultural, federal democracies which respect the rule of law, have common interests in the Indo-Pacific.
- This common interest is nothing but ensuring balance of power in the Indo-Pacific region.
- This is mainly because of the assertiveness of China in the region, so these two countries have a responsibility of ensuring that any one country does not have hegemony in the region.
- Apart from this Indians are today the largest source of skilled migrants in Australia who are very significant for the Australian economy.
- And if the Economic Cooperation and Trade Agreement (ECTA) is realized, the economic ties will reach its peak.
- This Track 1.5 dialogue if happened would be the dialogue which would be happening between the two countries since 2019 due to the pandemic.
- So, both the countries must consider this Track 1.5 dialogue as an opportunity to further enhance the ties between the two countries.
- The two democracies must enhance their ties with shared framework for regional security, promoting business and commercial opportunities and strengthening our people-to-people links.
SOURCE: THE HINDU
For more updates Click here