Nobel Peace Prize
#GS-02 International Organisations
About Nobel Peace Prize:
- The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded on the day of Alfred Nobel’s death, the 10th of December, since 1901.
- The Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded 103 times to 140 Nobel Prize laureates between 1901 and 2022, 110 individuals and 30 organizations.
- The Nobel Peace Prize is one of the five Nobel Prizes established by the will of Swedish industrialist, inventor and arms (military weapons and equipment) manufacturer Alfred Nobel, along with the prizes in Chemistry, Physics, Physiology or Medicine and Literature.
About Alfred Nobel:
- Alfred Bernhard Nobel was a Swedish chemist, engineer, inventor, businessman, and philanthropist.
- Nobel is most famous for inventing dynamite, which allowed for a safer and easier means of harnessing the explosive power of nitro-glycerine which was patented in 1867.
- He was called “the merchant of death” due to his weapon manufacturing companies, the creations of which led to widespread destruction in the 19th Century CE.
- He decided to posthumously donate the majority of his wealth to found the Nobel Prize due to a desire to leave behind a better legacy.
Who are the Winners of Nobel Peace Prize 2022?
About Ales Bialiatski:
- Ales Viktaravich Bialiatski is a Belarusian pro-democracy activist and prisoner of conscience known for his work with the Viasna Human Rights Centre.
- Bialiatski has been supporting Pro-Democracy movements in Belarus since the 1980s, during the later years of Soviet Union.
- Belarus is currently wildly known as the last dictatorship in Europe.
- Memorial is an international human rights organisation, founded in Russia during the fall of the Soviet Union to study and examine the human rights violations and other crimes committed under Joseph Stalin’s reign.
About The Centre for Civil Liberties:
- The Centre for Civil Liberties is a human rights organization led by the Ukrainian lawyer Oleksandra Matviichuk.
- Them winning the Nobel Peace Prize was the first ever Nobel Prize awarded to a Ukrainian citizen or organization.