PIB Analysis 12-01-2023
Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Ann Yojana (PMGKAY)
- The integrated food security scheme for providing free foodgrains to Antodaya Ann Yojna (AAY) & Primary Household (PHH) beneficiaries, has rolled out from 1st January 2023.
- New scheme has been named as Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Ann Yojana (PMGKAY).
- Implementation of the new scheme has started from 1st January 2023, benefitting more than 80 crore poor and poorest of poor people.
- Keeping in view welfare of the beneficiaries and in order to maintain uniformity across the States, free foodgrains will be provided under PMGKAY for the year 2023 to all PHH and AAY beneficiaries, as per entitlement under NFSA.
- The integrated scheme will strengthen the provisions of NFSA, 2013 in terms of accessibility, affordability and availability of foodgrains for the poor.
PMGKAY will subsume the two subsidy schemes of Department of Food & Public Distribution;
- (a) Food Subsidy to FCI
- (b) Food Subsidy for decentralized procurement states dealing with procurement, allocation and delivery of free foodgrains to the states under NFSA.
Sur Sarita – Symphony of Ganga
- Ministry of Culture will organise a grand curtain raiser cultural program ‘Sur Sarita – Symphony of Ganga’ on the eve of the launch of the world’s longest river cruise on 12th January 2023 at Varanasi.
- During the concert, other dignitaries including tourists traveling in Ganga Vilas Cruise will get acquainted with the importance of Mother Ganga and their responsibilities towards her, along with enjoying the Sur Taranginis.
- This Sur Sandhya will make one realize how Maa Ganga is revered as a Goddess for every Indian and for the entire humanity.