Animation, Visual Effects, Gaming and Comics (AVGC) Sector
#GS-03 Economy, Science and Technology
AVGC Promotion Task Force:
- The AVGC Promotion Task Force was set up under the headship of Secretary, Ministry of Information & Broadcasting.
- Its creation was announced in the Union Budget 2022-23 to further unleash the scope of AVGC sector in India.
- The taskforce has Secretaries of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship; the Ministry of Education; the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology and the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade as its members
Terms of Reference of the Task Force
Terms of Reference of the Task Force include:
- To frame of a national AVGC policy,
- To recommend national curriculum framework for Graduation, Postgraduate and Doctoral courses in AVGC related sectors,
- Facilitate skill development initiatives in collaboration with academic institutions, vocational training centres & Industry,
- Boost employment opportunities in the sector,
- Extend the global reach of the Indian AVGC Industry through facilitating promotion and market development activities,
- Recommend incentives and enhance exports to attract FDI in the AVGC sector.
Recommendation of the task force
The taskforce has recommended the following measures to improve the AVGC sector in India:
- Start a “Create in India” campaign with an exclusive focus on content creation.
- Create an international platform for animation, visual effects, gaming and comics (AVGC) which can attract foreign direct investment, co-production treaties and innovation in collaboration with international counterparts.
- Form national and regional centres of excellence for skill development.
- Leverage the National Education Policy for developing creative thinking from school level.
- Establish AVGC accelerators and innovation hubs in academic institutions.
- Democratise AVGC technologies by promoting subscription-based pricing models for micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME), start-ups and institutions.
- Develop indigenous technology through incentive schemes and Intellectual Property (IP) creation.
Set up a dedicated production fund for domestic content creation from across India to promote the country’s culture and heritage globally.