DRDO carries out test flight of autonomous UAV
#GS-03 Science and Technology,
- Indigenous UAVs that are being developed: Rustom 2, AURA, Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE)
- Testing Site: Aeronautical Test Range, Chitradurga, Karnataka
- India was also planning to purchase 30 Predator drones from USA but this was canceled to promote indigenous drone development.
- Development of these drones marks a significant milestone in the Make in India initiative and the efforts of government to make India self-reliant in terms of military equipment.
- UAVs have been commonly used by US in its War on Terror and have hence proven to be highly effective especially in reconnaissance, border patrol and even in cross border attacks against dangerous individuals.
- UAVs are remotely operated and hence have a much smaller size which help in undetected flight
- They also help to reduce causalities in war especially during surgical strikes as they do not require the presence of an onboard pilot.