M1 Abrams and Leopard 2 Main Battle Tanks
#GS-03 Science and Technology.
Why in News:
- Germany and the United States have decided to send battle tanks to aid Ukraine in ongoing conflict.
- U. S. will be sending 31 M1 Abrams tanks to Ukraine while Germany will send 14 Leopard 2 tanks.
M1 Abrams Main Battle Tanks
- M1 Abrams US made third-generation main battle tank designed by Chrysler Defense (now owned by General Dynamics Land Systems).
- It has been designed for modern armoured ground warfare and utilises Chobham composite armour, a multifuel turbine engine separate ammunition storage in a blow-out compartment, and NBC protection for crew safety.
- The M1 Abrams was developed to replace the obsolescent M60 tank.
- The M1 Abrams entered service in 1980s and has been serving as the main battle tank of the United States Army since the Persian Gulf War.
Leopard 2 Main Battle Tanks
- Leopard 2 is a third-generation main battle tank (MBT) developed by Krauss-Maffei in the 1970s for West German Army.
- Leopard 2 was developed to replace the earlier Leopard 1 as the main battle tank of the West German Army.
- Currently Leopard 2 operated by the armed forces of Germany, as well as 13 other European countries, and several non-European nations including Canada, Chile, Indonesia, and Singapore.
For more updates, click here