National Automated Fingerprint Identification System
- · Union Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated the National Automated Fingerprint Identification System (NAFIS) on Wednesday (August 17), at the two-day National Securities Strategies (NSS) Conference 2022 held in New Delhi.
- · According to the Ministry of Home Affairs, NAFIS, which was developed by the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), would help in the quick and easy disposal of cases with the help of a centralized fingerprint database.
- · National Crime Records Bureau is the designated authority which has conceptualized and managed at the Central Fingerprint Bureau (CFPB).
- · The National Automated Fingerprints Identification System (NAFIS) is an initiative with which country-wide searchable database of crime- and criminal-related fingerprints will be maintained.
- · The web-based application consolidates all the fingerprint data from all states and Union Territories and functions as a central information repository.
How will it be recorded?
- Each person arrested for a crime is assigned with a unique 10-digit National Fingerprint Number (NFN).
- This unique ID will be used for the person’s lifetime, and different crimes registered under different FIRs will be linked to the same NFN.
- The 2020 report states that the ID’s first two digits will be that of the state code in which the person arrested for a crime is registered, followed by a sequence number.
SOURCE: THE HINDU