- Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Shri Parshottam Rupala will inaugurate the ‘Sagar Parikrama’, organised by The Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Government of India and National Fisheries Development Board along with Department of Fisheries, Government of Gujarat, Indian Coast Guard, Fishery Survey of India, Gujarat Maritime Board and fishermen representatives on 5thMarch 2022.
- The Parikrama, starting from Mandvi at Shyamiji Krishna Varma Memorial, Gujarat, as a part of ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsava’, is an endeavour to know the problems of coastal fisherfolk. It will be organized in other districts of Gujarat and other State/UTs in subsequent phases.
- The Parikrama shall be accompanied by the State Fisheries officials, Fishermen representatives, Fish-Farmers entrepreneurs, stakeholders, professionals, officials, and Scientists from across the nation.
- During the event, certificates /sanctions related to the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampadha scheme (PMMSY), KCC & State Scheme shall be awarded to the progressive fishermen, especially coastal fishermen, fishers, fish farmers, young fishery entrepreneurs, etc.
- Literature on PMMSY scheme, State schemes, FIDF, and KCC shall be popularised among fishers through print media, electronic media, videos & digital campaign with jingles.
- A song on Sagar Parikrama shall also be launched in the contest of ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsava’.
- The Government of India is at the forefront in transforming the fisheries sector and formulating fisheries management plans along with a regulatory framework towards effective fisheries governance to ensure sustainable and responsible development through an ecosystem approach.
- The journey of ‘Sagar Parikrama’ shall focus on the sustainable balance between the utilization of marine fisheries resources for food security of the nation and livelihoods of coastal fisher communities and protection of marine ecosystems.
- An evolutionary journey of ‘Sagar Parikrama’ is envisaged in the sea across the coastal belt demonstrating solidarity with all fisherfolk, fish farmers, and concerned stakeholders as a spirit of Aatmanirbhar Bharat.
Source: THE HINDU.