#GS 03 Science and Technology
- The Gaganyaan Programme of ISRO is aimed to conduct the demonstration of human spaceflight to Low Earth Orbit (LEO) in the short-term which will in turn lay the foundation for a sustained Indian human space exploration programme in the long run.
- The objective of Gaganyaan programme is to demonstrate the capability of ISRO to undertake human space flight mission to LEO indigenously.
- As part of this programme, two unmanned missions and one manned mission have been approved by Government of India (GoI).
- The Gaganyaan system module, called the Orbital Module is proposed to carry three Indian astronauts, including a woman.
- The first indigenous simulated crew module (SCM) was built by Hyderabad-based Manjira Machine Builders.
- A test vehicle launch will be done from Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) in Sriharikota for this module for simulating the escape vehicle exercise for the unmanned flight.
The payload will consist of:
- Crew module which is a spacecraft capable of carrying human beings.
- Service module which will be powered by two liquid propellant engines.
- It will be also be equipped with emergency escape and emergency mission abort.
Goals of the mission
The principal goal of the mission is demonstrating the capability of ISRO to undertake human space flight mission to LEO indigenously.
Other goals include the following:
- To Boost the Science and Technology and scientific temper of the country.
- Other Institutes, academia, and industry will also be involved in these national programs.
- Encourage the youth to take on challenges in the field of science and technology.
- Developed technology for the betterment of society.
- Further Human Resource Development.
- Make a path to international collaboration and policies.
Source “Hyderabad-based company builds simulated crew module for Gaganyaan“