Tele Mental Health Assistance and Networking Across States (MANAS)
- Tele-MANAS is a toll-free 24/7 number (14416) launched on October 10 2022 on World Mental Health Day by the Union government.
- It aims to provide free tele-mental health services all over the country round the clock, its focus is on catering to people in remote or under-served areas.
- It is based on Karnataka government’s e-Manas service, which was launched during the first wave of COVID-19.
- Tele-MANAS works under the National Mental Health Programme (NMHP).
- The program has been spread to 24 States and Union Territories.
- The National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS) works as the nodal centre for the project and International Institute of Information Technology Bangalore (IIITB) provides technical assistance.
- As per and International Institute of Information Technology Bangalore (IIITB), Tele-MANAS has received over 20,000 calls to date.
- The most common issues faced by the callers are stress, sleep disorders and anxiety.
- Tele-MANAS received the highest number of callers from the state of Tamil Nadu (3,631).
Working of Tele-MANAS
- Tele-MANAS has been organised into a two-tier system;
- Tier 1 comprises of state Tele-MANAS cells which will include trained counsellors and mental health specialists.
- Tier 2 will include specialists at District Mental Health Programme (DMHP)/Medical College resources for physical consultation and/or e-Sanjeevani for audio visual consultation.
- Tele-MANAS will be linked to other services like National tele-consultation service, e-Sanjeevani, Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission, mental health professionals, Ayushman Bharat health and wellness centres and emergency psychiatric facilities for specialised care.